Convergence RP Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeRulesTimelineLatest imagesFactionsEventsMapSearchRegisterLog in
Click HERE to join our Discord Chat!
Remember to vote for us HERE!

How much of an RPG do we want to be?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Daniel Almis
Infamy I
Daniel Almis

The Prisoner

Lead Developer
Neutral
Gunslinger
Gamma-Class Supernatural

Alive

Awards
How much of an RPG do we want to be? C1E9Nc0 Starforger's End
How much of an RPG do we want to be? DQtpig0 Archaeologist
How much of an RPG do we want to be? K2DLTa9 Scholar

How much of an RPG do we want to be? Empty
Staff#1PostSubject: How much of an RPG do we want to be?   How much of an RPG do we want to be? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 10:51 am

Debate time again! Thinking of making this a regular thing, since it's always good to get everyones opinion on which way the site should go.

With the introduction of character levels, experience, and very soon arena ranking; along with the pre-existing item system; we are obviously leaning towards a game-like structure (which is in no way a bad thing, if anything this is the most freedom-giving type of game!).

By previous poll it's clear people are happy with the current level systems, and in the future hopefully the equipment creation and ownership system will come more into use once characters and stories develop. My next question though is:

The software this site runs on allows for alot. Dice rolls are possible, but easy to rig and take away from the trust between writers. Dice rolls will not be implemented.

My main point of debate is Stats. Do we want to introduce character stats for those who choose to? It came to me while I was thinking about rewards for both level progression and arena ranking. The most I could think of that we can offer are powerful items (which some people already have through lore-explained reasons), coloured names (which are cool but dont affect a characters progression or strength), and EXP.

It's here I should make sure you know what stats I'm referring to; ratings of STRENGTH, INTELLIGENCE, DEXTERITY, WISDOM, CONSTITUTION, CHARISMA are a main example from classic RPGs. They would increase through Level and Approved Equipment.

The introduction of any form of stat system would bring us closer to being an RPG, which yet again is not a bad thing especially when regulated through administration. Whether or not people want that is down to you.

Too Long, Didn't Read: Do you want a Stat system or something similar in place to give character's powers/skills more of a measure, and make them increase/be relative to their level and approved equipment?

Extra point: Can you think of anything else we can introduce to provide tangible and character-affecting rewards for progressing either in rank or level?
Back to top Go down
https://www.convergencerp.net/t6-dan-almis
DianaYoungblood
Level 17
DianaYoungblood

Queen of Nightblood

Character
Galactic Systems Union
Gamma-Class Supernatural

Alive

Awards

Staff#2PostSubject: Re: How much of an RPG do we want to be?   How much of an RPG do we want to be? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 11:49 am

I honestly think the way things are going are fairly good, and perhaps this should really be implemented but maybe not until we have more people. As of right now we only have like three active people and tons of characters which only really belong to us. So maybe once we have more people who are active, we give this a shot?
Back to top Go down
Aaron-157
Level 13
Aaron-157

Developer
Galactic Systems Union
Dead

Awards

Staff#3PostSubject: Re: How much of an RPG do we want to be?   How much of an RPG do we want to be? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 2:32 pm

"It's here I should make sure you know what stats I'm referring to; ratings of STRENGTH, INTELLIGENCE, DEXTERITY, WISDOM, CONSTITUTION, CHARISMA are a main example from classic RPGs. They would increase through Level and Approved Equipment."

Now this here is interesting. I like this idea because it expresses your character's identity without you having to do much at all, plus it just looks good in general to have ratings for powers and abilities. Feels like a video game - only more expansive in pretty much every way.

For the extra point, we could have some sort of public quest system (just throwing ideas around here) on side story or dominion threads. One of the administrators (or administrator approved member) sets up a thread where they outline the general quest and the prize and it is fully open to the public. This means that anyone who is interested in the quest can join the thread and try to complete it to claim their prize.
It'd be like a first-come-first-served system except multiple people can join a single quest and compete against each other to get the item of significance first. Of course it'd require a lot of balancing and ensuring the person who set up the thread isn't biased in favour of certain characters, but it's just a concept idea after all.
Back to top Go down
Daniel Almis
Infamy I
Daniel Almis

The Prisoner

Lead Developer
Neutral
Gunslinger
Gamma-Class Supernatural

Alive

Awards

Staff#4PostSubject: Re: How much of an RPG do we want to be?   How much of an RPG do we want to be? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 2:43 pm

DianaYoungblood wrote:
I honestly think the way things are going are fairly good, and perhaps this should really be implemented but maybe not until we have more people. As of right now we only have like three active people and tons of characters which only really belong to us. So maybe once we have more people who are active, we give this a shot?
That is a good point, although less people means it's easier to manage and test too Razz
Back to top Go down
Daniel Almis
Infamy I
Daniel Almis

The Prisoner

Lead Developer
Neutral
Gunslinger
Gamma-Class Supernatural

Alive

Awards

Staff#5PostSubject: Re: How much of an RPG do we want to be?   How much of an RPG do we want to be? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 2:46 pm

Aaron-157 wrote:
"It's here I should make sure you know what stats I'm referring to; ratings of STRENGTH, INTELLIGENCE, DEXTERITY, WISDOM, CONSTITUTION, CHARISMA are a main example from classic RPGs. They would increase through Level and Approved Equipment."

Now this here is interesting. I like this idea because it expresses your character's identity without you having to do much at all, plus it just looks good in general to have ratings for powers and abilities. Feels like a video game - only more expansive in pretty much every way.

For the extra point, we could have some sort of public quest system (just throwing ideas around here) on side story or dominion threads. One of the administrators (or administrator approved member) sets up a thread where they outline the general quest and the prize and it is fully open to the public. This means that anyone who is interested in the quest can join the thread and try to complete it to claim their prize.
It'd be like a first-come-first-served system except multiple people can join a single quest and compete against each other to get the item of significance first. Of course it'd require a lot of balancing and ensuring the person who set up the thread isn't biased in favour of certain characters, but it's just a concept idea after all.
Aye, and stats could help the thread writer/"dungeon master" to determine whether someone's actions against their NPCS goes well. Say Sebastian has a high strength stat and he punches a grunt it will hurt, but if Scruff punches a dragon you'll be able to tell my his stat it won't be as effective.

Also in Duels between players, it can easily determine an outcome for a strength contest, say a punch or a grapple, and dexterity contest, say one person is trying to dodge the other, by looking at each others stats. Takes away the feel of having to compromise, trust and break even.

Also the public quests idea is great, will definitely use that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Staff#6PostSubject: Re: How much of an RPG do we want to be?   How much of an RPG do we want to be? Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Convergence RP Archive :: Misc. Archive :: Misc. Archives :: General Discussion-